Sunday, May 1, 2011

New Home

I made this card for the family who's home dedicated today with Habitat for Humanity. I was a team leader on the house, in which I won a star night light for perfect attendance for this build. Hard to believe since I had no voice two weeks ago and still went. lol. This card was made for the MAY11VSNMINI5 challenge - walk the plank (use wood grain, or wood) and bonus points if you secure it with some metal. I made the card to have significance. The house started with wood for framing and finished as a house.

For those of you who do not know, I am a 10-year volunteer with Habitat. I am a team leader so am assigned to a house and work on it from start to finish on Saturdays for at least 15 weeks. I love setting trusses and roofing the best, but also like framing and dry wall. The rest, is so important, hoever not my favorite part.

I added the "evil eye" on it since the family has them, wears them, and were refugees from Kosovo. For those of you who do not know, here is a link to describe what it is. I made the evil eye over look the little house stamp so it will ward off the evil looks. Before the dedication, I had as many people as I could sign the card so the family could have well wishes all the people who worked on the house.

They were able to get the house because of their 21 year old daughter who works to pay the interest-free mortgage. The one child, 9 years old, wrote on the walls back when we were framing (a Habitat tradition) Please hurry and fix this house for us. We hurried and they can move in soon.

They really liked the card. When Raza, the 21 year old daughter was reading it, she actually got teary eyed. Awww, how sweet. A simple card. Hmmm. Who knew it would mean so  much? Shw was impressed that I made the card, also. The other sister said, "oh look, it has the evil eye on it.


Supply list: Bazzill, Stack (wood-grain) paper, Recollections black, SU brilliant blue, SU Bashful Blue, Cricut (large circle), circle punches, orner rounder, brads, Katie and Co stamp. Paper pieced the roof. I left the house white and made a blue roof since that is what their house is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow spam or anonymous comments.