Saturday, December 15, 2012

Monkey caramel bread - Shannon's way

I have been craving this for a while now. I finally made what have somehow been named Monkey balls in my house. They are so easy and yummy. I made them in a single layer and it worked perfectly. If you make them in a different kind of pan, you can't add too many layers of dough balls or they will fly out of the pan when they start to bake. I made them in an angel food pan 12/31/1999 for New Year's Day breakfast at my friend Wendy and Vance's house. That was a funny site. Once the dough was warm and baking in the oven, the dough balls were literally flying out of the pan. This time, everything cooked as it should.


Recipe:
Frozen dinner rolls or bread
1 cup heavy whipping cream (availabe in dairy section, do not use cool whip)
1 cup brown sugar
Sugar
Cinnamon

Mix the heavy whipping cream and the brown sugar together in the bottom of your pan. I made a double batch so I used a pint of whipping cream and probably two cups of brown sugar. My pan is 10x15. A normal batch will fit a 9x13 pan well. Sprinkle cinnamon on top of the caramel mixture. Cut the dinner rolls into quarters. Mine were still a little frozen but the Pampered Chef kitchen shears go through just about anything. Roll each quarter in sugar and cinnamon. Add each quarter to the caramel mixture. Let sit covered overnight so the dough rises. Bake about 20 minutes on 350. The dough will absorb the caramel on the bottom. You can use the caramel from the bottom of the pan on the rest of the ball when you pull the bread out.

You can also make your own caramel sauce by using brown sugar, butter, and karo syrup instead of the whipping cream and brown sugar. Both taste almost the same and whipping cream mixture is easier. If I do make my own sauce, I roll the dough balls in butter

1 comment:

This blog does not allow spam or anonymous comments.